turbojoe

Forum Fanatic
Sep 27, 2021
Re: Music and Sound Effects.

It's perfectly fair to want these things in a game. They're just expensive in terms of both money and time.

The license for the music in the intro in Toro 7 cost Mortze something like 200 Euros. Every one of those sorts of things he purchases comes out of the same budget as models to render. I think we can all agree that the visuals are more important than background music. And I would be very surprised if the marginal increase in patronage caused by him putting that music in ever paid back the cost.

If you go with free music, there's a lot of time searching, listening, etc. And that's time that, once again, could be spent writing or rendering.

Sure, if there was someone who loved working with audio, and was willing to do the audio work for our games for free, I'd be happy to talk to them. Unfortunately, we're only making enough for me to take no payment and Mortze to just scrape by. If we had to pay someone else, Mortze wouldn't be able to afford to do this job.

Tlaero
No problem - running Epica while playing :D

But a deepwater background noise would have increased the oppressive atmosphere of this game.

Last edited:

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Not everybody enjoys music in their game. That much we can all agree on. But I think you got it backwards. When a dev adds music, it's pretty much always to help set the tone and mood of the scene. It would take a really lousy dev to spend time and money to add random "tracks that have nothing whatsoever to do with the story". But muting the dev-chosen music and playing your own is what by definition "tracks that have nothing whatsoever to do with the story or visuals adds other than distractions."
"When a dev adds music, it's pretty much always to help set the tone and mood of the scene."

Not at all. The best ones yes. But a lot of those games have random copyright-free bgm, which you can hear in multiple games.

Reactions: jI11jaCksjAkk

jI11jaCksjAkk

Jun 26, 2023
When a dev adds music, it's pretty much always to help set the tone and mood of the scene.
I appreciate your opinion. (y) Mine is just different. Maybe some really good devs out there do this, but I have not yet played a game where it felt that way to me. I have only experienced "here's what we could get for free," but I certainly don't claim to have played all games so maybe I am missing out. :unsure:

But a lot of those games have random copyright-free bgm
That has been my experience, dolfe67, but obv that only applies to games I have played. And of course ancillary to that...is the reality that free source music is most likely going to be elevator music versions of recognizable songs or original songs that are probably not very good (relatively speaking) because if they were the songwriter/band/estate would be repped by aggressive copyright litigation firms. Y'aint getting Yellow Submarine for Toro7, although that would be hilarious. :D
deepwater backgroung noise would have increased the oppressive atmosphere of this game.
Now THAT is an awesome idea. Creaking metal, gas-venting hisses - those would definitely add to the atmosphere like the best submarine movies. (y)(y)(y)

• Love
Reactions: turbojoe

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I suspect that we can all agree that bad audio is worse than no audio. There's probably disagreement on the precise line between "good" and "bad" but for the purpose of this post, just assume that when I say "bad" audio it's whatever you think of as bad.

It's perfectly reasonable to want good audio in your games. And, even people who don't like audio can disable it in the menu.

The challenge is that making good audio is a completely different skillset than writing, programming, and making images.

I enjoy telling stories and like getting better at it through practice.
I'm a professional software engineer, so the coding in these games is simple and fun.
Mortze enjoys making visual art and likes getting better at it through practice.

But neither of us like working with audio nor would we enjoy getting better at it. So, if we tried to add audio to our games, we would almost definitely add bad audio.

To get good audio for our games, we'd need to meet someone who is enthusiastic about audio and would enjoy getting better at it through practice. I suspect that AI is going to make the software equivalent of a foley stage (if one doesn't already exist). If someone with passion around this wants to work with me, please reach out.

Tlaero

Bullfye

Feb 8, 2019
Doc terminal password for English native speaking people can be easy for the ones that are not its just a no go..

Anyone knows the password

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
In all mini games in Toro 7, if you fail 3 times, it lets you skip them. If you want to figure it out, though, and would like some hints.
First hint: This drink often comes with a paper umbrella
Second hint: 6 letters total (it's actually 2 words, but you don't have to type the space)
Third hint: First letter is M

Tlaero

snakeplisskin

Mar 19, 2018
Not being able to romance Aisha as a dude reminded me of Dragon Age inquisition.
Where you couldn't romance Sara if you played as a dude

Why the heck do I always fall for the lesbian girls lol

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what the devs do next
This was a great game
And I'm glad It didn't drag on like a lot of games do

I think one of my favourite things about this game is the writing it's awesome imo
Lol i am in the same boat

• Haha
Reactions: Joshy92

Cabin

Dec 11, 2022
Damn one of the few games where playing as a straight female protag felt fun and sexy
Most fem protag games either forces rude, horny ugly old bastards or rude horny shotas or blackmailing mf cunt young men as love interests which usually pushes me to go for the lesbian options
But ... only 7 episodes
I was hoping for 10
Really wishing there will be a season 2
Until then playing baldur's gate 3 or replaying the game as a male protag or lesbian protag
Heck I might try out other tora games
Any recommendations guys??

Reactions: Joshy92

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
1st impressions: From the GIFs I expected it to be outer vs inner space vessel. Sequence: Genre, GIFs: Thought there were two many missile hazards for experienced crew, perhaps a towed "umbilical cord" semi deep sea vessel is different? GIF 5&6 look like a worn fabric sofa/chair. Placing the Toro logo inside a triangle stretches the image giving it a feline shade. Finally my mind may have added an Orca image that is not actually in the GIFs strange days indeed. On with the investigation Dano. Sec 2 with lowly Sec 6. How to respond to authority, Mam apparently senior management identified my skill set as a fit for the billet (or stay passive and log reference).

Last edited:

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
Lol i am in the same boat
In my minds eye, it is the challenge of the supposedly unobtainable. Armed with knowledge, body language studies, and experience, you can examine what led the quarry to the current "preference" then proceed, with caution.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Heck I might try out other tora games
Any recommendations guys??
The Omnibus (https://f95zone.to/threads/elsaverse-omnibus-vol-1-tora-productions.90315/) has the original 5 games in the Elsaverse ported to Renpy. It also has a number of short stories and text-only stories, including a novella. But you can play the games without the extras.

If you don't want to play the older games in the Elsaverse, the most recent one is Chasing Beth (https://f95zone.to/threads/chasing-beth-v1-0-2-tora-productions.102481/) and that game can be played without knowing all of the back history (although you'll get more out of it if you know the back history).

If you want to play a lesbian love story, you can play the Claryce path of Life Changes for Keeley (https://f95zone.to/threads/life-changes-for-keeley-v1-0-tora-productions.56808/). That's in a different universe.

Tlaero

turbojoe

Forum Fanatic
Sep 27, 2021
In all mini games in Toro 7, if you fail 3 times, it lets you skip them. If you want to figure it out, though, and would like some hints.
First hint: This drink often comes with a paper umbrella
Second hint: 6 letters total (it's actually 2 words, but you don't have to type the space)
Third hint: First letter is M

Tlaero
I just googled rum drinks with M and found it easily ;)

Cabin

Dec 11, 2022
The Omnibus (https://f95zone.to/threads/elsaverse-omnibus-vol-1-tora-productions.90315/) has the original 5 games in the Elsaverse ported to Renpy. It also has a number of short stories and text-only stories, including a novella. But you can play the games without the extras.

If you don't want to play the older games in the Elsaverse, the most recent one is Chasing Beth (https://f95zone.to/threads/chasing-beth-v1-0-2-tora-productions.102481/) and that game can be played without knowing all of the back history (although you'll get more out of it if you know the back history).

If you want to play a lesbian love story, you can play the Claryce path of Life Changes for Keeley (https://f95zone.to/threads/life-changes-for-keeley-v1-0-tora-productions.56808/). That's in a different universe.

Tlaero
Thanks mate

4.40 star(s) 51 Votes