Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Actually, I was trying to be facetious. Subjectively I think half of the thread is people either asking about updates or complaining about the lack thereof. 80% of the rest is reacting to that.
That leaves 10% de of the rest of the thread speaking about how cute the triplets are... Not enough!

Reactions: Cartageno

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
That leaves 10% de of the rest of the thread speaking about how cute the triplets are... Not enough!
It's actually way worse: apart from the ones sharing their love for triplets, that ten percent also need to encompass those discussing (or reacting to) Natalie, the odd mention of Brook (or Gracie for that matter) and of course the unfortunate souls who keep getting lost in Maddie's eyes over and over again...

Reactions: Ayhsel

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
I'm going to state my (potentially unpopular) opinion here and I'm wondering if you guys can change my views. I'll try to remain partial because maybe I'm just not seeing the genius that is Radiant.

I think this game is painfully mediocre and undeserving of all the attention it's gotten. Here's why I think so:

1. Gracie death was extremely weak, emotionally. We spent only 5 minutes with this character with barely any character development. All we know about her is she's a virgin and falls in love way too quickly. Her sole purpose was to bear the MC babies and die. She's like a character in The Walking Dead who is only introduced to be killed off. The letter she wrote did not hit me in the feels because I didn't care for her because we spent no time getting to know her. If anything, it made me roll my eyes because the writer expects me to be sad with no work on his part to make me feel sad.

2. Choices break character hard. I like being given choices in a VN but not ones that go so far against what a character would do that it makes other characters (who mind you, knows the MC better than you or I at that point) shocked that he would behave that way. I'm talking about the scene with the old buddy cracking a joke at you and you get the choice to chew his ass out over it. I feel sad for the old guy, having an undiagnosed psychopath as a "friend".

3. The cliffhanger is a terrible cliffhanger. We didn't know we killed anyone and we don't even know this random lady who came to knock on our door. Also, this whole thing is way too similar to how the MC finds out he has daughters. The three of him knock on his door, he opens, they drop the bomb on him. In the cliffhanger, she knocks on his door, he opens, she drops the bomb on him. What's next, will she ask to come live with him too? Maybe he'll catch her sleepwalking naked as well. Also, the two bombs were horribly spaced apart. It's better to take one conflict at a time. The current conflict is learning how to be a father, but now this shit comes and hijacks the story by making him feel guilt about something that happens years ago. Either it's a nonissue and there is no point in introducing that character, or she takes up time that should have been spent with the daughters instead.

Everything else was mediocre and not worth mentioning. I think what could've made the story interesting is if the MC really doesn't believe the kids are his (but we as the audience know) and he pretends he's their father so he can get in their pants. Maybe later on down the line, after he bumps uglies with his kids, he starts to remember Gracie and finally realizes that these are his own kids he's been fucking, and he's disgusted with himself. You can go dark by making him kill himself, or you can make the guy come to terms with what he's done and slowly accept that he's an incest loving daughter fucker.

Final score: 6/10 for me.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I'm going to state my (potentially unpopular) opinion here and I'm wondering if you guys can change my views. I'll try to remain partial because maybe I'm just not seeing the genius that is Radiant.

I think this game is painfully mediocre and undeserving of all the attention it's gotten. Here's why I think so:

1. Gracie death was extremely weak, emotionally. We spent only 5 minutes with this character with barely any character development. All we know about her is she's a virgin and falls in love way too quickly. Her sole purpose was to bear the MC babies and die. She's like a character in The Walking Dead who is only introduced to be killed off. The letter she wrote did not hit me in the feels because I didn't care for her because we spent no time getting to know her. If anything, it made me roll my eyes because the writer expects me to be sad with no work on his part to make me feel sad.

2. Choices break character hard. I like being given choices in a VN but not ones that go so far against what a character would do that it makes other characters (who mind you, knows the MC better than you or I at that point) shocked that he would behave that way. I'm talking about the scene with the old buddy cracking a joke at you and you get the choice to chew his ass out over it. I feel sad for the old guy, having an undiagnosed psychopath as a "friend".

3. The cliffhanger is a terrible cliffhanger. We didn't know we killed anyone and we don't even know this random lady who came to knock on our door. Also, this whole thing is way too similar to how the MC finds out he has daughters. The three of him knock on his door, he opens, they drop the bomb on him. In the cliffhanger, she knocks on his door, he opens, she drops the bomb on him. What's next, will she ask to come live with him too? Maybe he'll catch her sleepwalking naked as well. Also, the two bombs were horribly spaced apart. It's better to take one conflict at a time. The current conflict is learning how to be a father, but now this shit comes and hijacks the story by making him feel guilt about something that happens years ago. Either it's a nonissue and there is no point in introducing that character, or she takes up time that should have been spent with the daughters instead.

Everything else was mediocre and not worth mentioning. I think what could've made the story interesting is if the MC really doesn't believe the kids are his (but we as the audience know) and he pretends he's their father so he can get in their pants. Maybe later on down the line, after he bumps uglies with his kids, he starts to remember Gracie and finally realizes that these are his own kids he's been fucking, and he's disgusted with himself. You can go dark by making him kill himself, or you can make the guy come to terms with what he's done and slowly accept that he's an incest loving daughter fucker.

1. I agree about the feels about Gracie. I am a widow and that story plotline generally hits me hard. I felt nothing for her in general. She was a baby factory and the letter was just a "yeah I knew you were alive, but we never looked for you, here are your kids" kind of thing. The girls are the main story for me.

2. I don't know if it is against character, as we are still fleshing out the character in the game. Plus it maybe hyperbole. The game might say "Wreck this motherfucker" and the actual text is like "I am bit perturbed that you would insinuate that". I don't know full well the development teams style.

3. Always leaving the public wanting more, and asking questions to keep them coming back. Sales 101.

Reactions: BigDaddyDom

Fapmigo

Feb 21, 2020

I get what you say.

I don't agree for the 2nd point. I don't see where is the problem to have different choices. It allows different playthrough.

But I agree for the cliffhanger, it's bad and too soon. Kinda ruined the end of the episode. I'm not waiting the next update of this potential great game because of the cliffhanger but because of the story with the girls.

Reactions: BigDaddyDom

Lord_Momentum

Sep 16, 2018
I honestly don't understand why she isn't just his normal GF. There ist literally no reason for their relationship to be a one night stand.
If they would have been together for lets say 2 or 3 years, this whole thing would have had more weight. He still wouldn't know about his daughters and everything else would be literally the same.
Maybe it's because the dev didn't want the MC to remember the mother?

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Well said, Ayhsel.

Some additional info for you consideration, kytee:
  • Gracie will be revisited in multiple dream sequences
  • The Post (Ayhsel mentioned) regarding the psych choice on Bernie's 'joke' in light of the cliffhanger
  • Natalie Koval is confirmed to be one of the main female characters
  • Upcoming content: incest (doh!), more girls, pregnancy, harem

Fun fact: Radiant is a nearly completed story if we just look at the first draft alone... it is roughly the size of 6 full novels already and will be completely rewritten at least two more times before this game is completed.

SrRK

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 18, 2018
Not sure why some jump to assume that the MC isn't aware that he killed someone during his accident. Since this story is real-time POV and narration is third person, there will sometimes be information or details not yet revealed to players, information that the main character is already well aware of... especially information regarding the player-character's past. Allowing players to learn of this through Natalie, to sort of "experience" the information rather than simply telling it seemed like the ideal choice given the emotional impact that carries... and merely waiting for the next scene will clear up many questions readers have regarding this.

Even still: there is so much about that night that is yet to be addressed or revealed. Some of it will come in the form of surprise encounters like the encounter with Natalie, some of it will come from meeting characters from the MC's past... and some of it will come in the form of the main character's thoughts, emotions, or even repressed memories.

Similarly, with Gracie: there is still much players don't yet know. Players will learn about her through interactions with the girls, with the player-character's own dreams, and perhaps even flashbacks.

If you're wondering where I'm going with this: we're only on the very first chapter of a game that is a work in progress. If you come into this looking for "plot holes," of course you will find them... if you don't stop to consider that they're not plot holes at all and there's far more to the story that has yet to be explained.

Also: if you want to talk about "nonsense" -- try spending an entire chapter developing/getting players interested in a character: only to kill them or send them away because they're not a main character in the present-day story. That works in some genres for sure: not so much in this one. Or... try avoiding surprises like the one we had with Natalie because "it hadn't been that long since the last one." Except that's not possible, because Natalie is an integral part of the story and not a mere plot device. Aka, there's a reason she was introduced/why it happened at this precise moment.

Pessimism is a great way to ruin your own experience with a game or story, that's for sure.

Mainly, why the hell did she not appear after he woke up if she was so madly in love with him.
There's an explanation for this, but this is yet another scenario where there's a valid answer to your question that merely hasn't been revealed yet. Not a major spoiler or anything, but some important details that will be revealed as the story goes... so I'll spoiler tag it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

McWoodz

Oct 28, 2018

This is the joke he cracked

screenshot0008.png

Understandable the MC might react to that and tells you that he killed someone in the accident
So the MC knew, you knew, Bernie knew, we all knew

Dec 20, 2019
This is the joke he cracked

View attachment 731055

Understandable the MC might react to that and tells you that he killed someone in the accident
So the MC knew, you knew, Bernie knew, we all knew
It has been a millennia since I last played the game. Now that the MC has successfully rebuilt his life in just a few years after being in coma for like what, 18 years? I cannot remember if the MC showed any sign of guilt at all knowing that he killed someone even though he has no recollection of it.

Also since my memory is so shoddy, as certified by my Bioresonance-homeopathy doctor, WHO IS BROOKE?

SrRK

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 18, 2018
It has been a millennia since I last played the game. Now that the MC has successfully rebuilt his life in just a few years after being in coma for like what, 18 years? I cannot remember if the MC showed any sign of guilt at all knowing that he killed someone even though he has no recollection of it.

Also since my memory is so shoddy, as certified by my Bioresonance-homeopathy doctor, WHO IS BROOKE?
Brooke's the girl that applies for a job at your firm.

Also: several years were skipped after you woke up from the coma. I'd recommend waiting for the discussion with Natalie before concluding anything like that. He definitely felt guilt for it... but he had so much shit slung at him all at once after waking up that he had no choice but to repress it all as much as possible... just so that he could keep moving forward with his life and rehabilitation.

Last edited:

Dec 20, 2019
Brooke's the girl that applies for a job at your firm.

Also: several years were skipped after you woke up from the coma. I'd recommend waiting for the discussion with Natalie before concluding anything like that. He definitely felt guilt for it... but he had so much shit slung at him all at once after waking up that he had no choice to repress it as much as possible... just so that he could keep moving forward with his life and rehabilitation.
Yea, AL left a deep impression where the MC moped on the bed for many moons with Mel. Sorry for comparing your game with AL. As you mentioned, this is only chapter one, I am really looking forward to how the story goes.

Reactions: SrRK
4.30 star(s) 270 Votes