BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
You know what else is giving me a headache? These ridiculous theories of yours!

Everyone knows that Will ran the whole city and that he and Leia are Zanes by blood and Vanessa is their daughter just like Nika, period.
Um no. Nika and Vanessa both know their obligations to the patreon terms of service very very well and would do nothing to cause their real daddy (Ocean) any grief.

Miranha157

Oct 6, 2024
Um no. Nika and Vanessa both know their obligations to the patreon terms of service very very well and would do nothing to cause their real daddy (Ocean) any grief.

But no one knows they are siblings...

There was only one heterochromia in this "gigantic" city, while Nika looks a lot like Will and Leia.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018

There was only one heterochromia in this "gigantic" city, while Nika looks a lot like Will and Leia.
Yep, we know all the circumstantial evidence, we've circled around it for years. We've realised patreons terms of service do not allow LI to be related, so Vanessa and Nika have done the honorable thing so we can all keep enjoying the true meaning of the game... basketball! Or snakes and ladders with aliens, whatever that stuff is called.

In all seriousness I think if you go back maybe 800 pages you'll find theories about the eye colours, hairstyles all the rest. That's just what we do to kill time between updates.

Edit: and no one knows ...only lasts until they are LI and patreon gets the scent of southern spicy chicken.

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022

Bro you're like 20 years too late, these guys knew that already when you didnt know avns existed yet

its like theories on top of theories on top of theories at this point and trying to make everything work out with patreon (or at least keeping it hidden enough).

Ocean's statement that William is only blood related to Leia made everything very unclear.

It seems like whatever connections Ocean intended for both stories in the beginning has changed but it impossible to say how exactly at this point.

I expect most solutions to be kinda dumb/glossed over at this point like willy and leia living with the zane's (and probably even have the surname) yet are somehow not (really) adopted (similar to Nika and Nami with Noji).

Last edited:

Miranha157

Oct 6, 2024
Bro you're like 20 years too late, these guys knew that already when you didnt know avns existed yet

its like theories on top of theories on top of theories at this point and trying to make everything work out with patreon (or at least keeping it hidden enough).

Ocean's statement that William is only blood related to Leia made everything very unclear.

It seems like whatever connections Ocean intended for both stories in the beginning has changed but it impossible to say how exactly at this point.

I expect most solutions to be kinda dumb/glossed over at this point like willy and leia living with the zane's (and probably even have the surname) yet are somehow not (really) adopted (similar to Nika and Nami with Noji).

It makes no sense to change the script after years, WIAB is no longer on Patreon and another one has a quote from Leia "I got my six from my mother".

He can change the script, decrease or increase the character's characteristics but it won't change the fact that she is a Zane by blood just like William.

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
It makes no sense to change the script after years, WIAB is no longer on Patreon and another one has a quote from Liea "I got my six from my mother".

He can change the script, decrease or increase the character's characteristics but it won't change the fact that she is a Zane by blood just like William.
Unfortunaly not anymore, he specificly pointed out that William is only blood related to Leia (after Wiab got deleted on patreon already). Which kinda only leaves the implication that Willy being blood-related would lead to too much troubles for SG in the future.

And unfortunaly hes changing the scripts aaalllll the fucking time nonstop (he will have his reasons).

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: RNasc4444

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
It makes no sense to change the script after years, WIAB is no longer on Patreon and another one has a quote from Leia "I got my six from my mother".

Literally, changing the script DOES change whether they are Zanes. Dylan is the Zane with the name. If William and Leia aren't related to Dylan, they aren't Zanes. Unless in Wollust Zane is as common as Smith.

As much as we might think we can second guess Ocean, he will deliver his own S2 Ch1 for SG and his own Ch4 for WiaB that tell the story he's decided is sustainable for all the reasons. We can point out to all the connections we saw from old WiaB pre rework, old SG pre rework, but it's never going back to what it was.

This is a danger of playing a game that is a work in progress; the author is allowed to change their story however they see fit. The difference is here we see the drafts in public and we get attached to the draft. We'll maybe lose bit we like on the way, but if the end result is a thriving game, I'm okay with the authors decisions of necessity.

LHDLLB

Oct 3, 2019
Literally, changing the script DOES change whether they are Zanes. Dylan is the Zane with the name. If William and Leia aren't related to Dylan, they aren't Zanes. Unless in Wollust Zane is as common as Smith.

As much as we might think we can second guess Ocean, he will deliver his own S2 Ch1 for SG and his own Ch4 for WiaB that tell the story he's decided is sustainable for all the reasons. We can point out to all the connections we saw from old WiaB pre rework, old SG pre rework, but it's never going back to what it was.

This is a danger of playing a game that is a work in progress; the author is allowed to change their story however they see fit. The difference is here we see the drafts in public and we get attached to the draft. We'll maybe lose bit we like on the way, but if the end result is a thriving game, I'm okay with the authors decisions of necessity.
While I agree and am fine with Ocean changing the script - even if I might prefer one over the other- to maintain his income or for creative reasons, the change still has to make sense of the story. For all his works to remove any traces of Nika and Nami's original relationship, the story still treats it as something that needs to be hiden, forbiden, a race of impossible odds. Ocean can change what he think it fits on his story better, but he can't change and not change it at the same time.

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
I have to push back a bit on this notion. This is the same argument yossa999 uses and I get it. Of course the dev/writter is allowed to do it but the consequences of constantly retconning the narrative are devastating. Tell me please what other media does this and to this extent? I've already used the manga example. The TV shows example. They can go on for years and years but each new episode/chapter that comes out builds on the existent narrative. It doesn't massively change it.

I get that some people will be bothered by it more than others but can anyone honestly tell me this is an even remotely good way of telling a story?

dameromexxx

Jun 24, 2024
While I agree and am fine with Ocean changing the script - even if I might prefer one over the other- to maintain his income or for creative reasons, the change still has to make sense of the story. For all his works to remove any traces of Nika and Nami's original relationship, the story still treats it as something that needs to be hiden, forbiden, a race of impossible odds. Ocean can change what he think it fits on his story better, but he can't change and not change it at the same time.
Yes, in the Ocean Universe, a romance between two tenants is an unforgivable act. We have a repeat of Three's Company with the unfortunate Nika Tripper all over again. If Nika doesn't have these problems with Mila and Robin, it's really unfair to Nami

Reactions: LHDLLB

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
I have to push back a bit on this notion. This is the same argument yossa999 uses and I get it. Of course the dev/writter is allowed to do it but the consequences of constantly retconning the narrative are devastating. Tell me please what other media does this and to this extent? I've already used the manga example. The TV shows example. They can go on for years and years but each new episode/chapter that comes out builds on the existent narrative. It doesn't massively change it.

I get that some people will be bothered by it more than others but can anyone honestly tell me this is an even remotely good way of telling a story?
Me? Arguments? I just stopped for a second to ask what time it was. If only I knew what I was getting myself into... :KEK:

You wanna examples?

7 Days To Die - over a decade in Alpha!, you can't be sure that the next update won't change the traits of a certain creature or even the game mechanics. In the previous version, you could dig an underground shelter and hungry zombies wouldn't find you, and in the next update, those bitches will dig up your ass and eat it.

Space engineers - another update and you can't figure out why your ship is now spinning like a top with the engines off.

Movies? Have you ever seen how at the end of some movies, when the credits roll, they put up a montage of the bad takes or the scenes that they cut out of the movie? Well, we're at the stage where the movie is just being shot and these bad takes or scenes that are going to be cut out are being made. It's early access not a finished product.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018

Every single book that has been written has had this process. Especially once the publishers say, "hey we can't print your 1500 page book, but we can do 2 700 page books, and we'll print the second once we see there's interest in the first. You'll need to have a cliffhanger there." Or film. Why are there directors cuts? Because the director shot th film they wanted, then the executives said, "no get it under 120min kthnx, oh and lose that scene, you know, that one. It's central to the plot? Not according to our test screening".

The difference with TV is (like an AVN) it's pushed into the public space as episodes. Difference with the tv show to an AVN is that it still has a whole bunch or writing drafts in private. AVN's are the only form where I see creators publishing drafts. The early access mentality on gaming platforms legitimised this idea.

I'm not saying this is good practice, just that it isn't unusual for this kind of media.

THe other issue is every other form of content has executive teams that send the drafts back, while AVN writers are there own IT, HR, finance department etc. They're not just making the story up as they go along, they're making up their whole business model as a draft, stumbling along the way. It's less than ideal, but again, I can understand why it happens, and if it's too hit and miss, I can drop it and find something more consistent to play/read.

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
Every single book that has been written has had this process. Especially once the publishers say, "hey we can't print your 1500 page book, but we can do 2 700 page books, and we'll print the second once we see there's interest in the first. You'll need to have a cliffhanger there." Or film. Why are there directors cuts? Because the director shot th film they wanted, then the executives said, "no get it under 120min kthnx, oh and lose that scene, you know, that one. It's central to the plot? Not according to our test screening".

The difference with TV is (like an AVN) it's pushed into the public space as episodes. Difference with the tv show to an AVN is that it still has a whole bunch or writing drafts in private. AVN's are the only form where I see creators publishing drafts. The early access mentality on gaming platforms legitimised this idea.

I'm not saying this is good practice, just that it isn't unusual for this kind of media.

THe other issue is every other form of content has executive teams that send the drafts back, while AVN writers are there own IT, HR, finance department etc. They're not just making the story up as they go along, they're making up their whole business model as a draft, stumbling along the way. It's less than ideal, but again, I can understand why it happens, and if it's too hit and miss, I can drop it and find something more consistent to play/read.
Every example I've read just shows me you guys suck at analogies :LOL: Not a fair comparison in the bunch.

How is a damn movie in which the narrative is based on time travel and changing past events compare to SG or WiAB? (to address the not so clever superhero movies retort) How can you compare a test release, a screening for audiences or investors to a released AVN? There is already a published product here. A complete season 1 for which the developper has been charging money for years. It's not the same thing. A fair comparison would be releasing a movie in the theaters, having audience member buy tickets and watch it, then midway through the movie suddenly Act 1 has changed, one actor was recast and not a single explanation is given as to why the protagonists relationship with other characters completely changed.

Same with a book. Only the final version is published and monetized. Even if some revisions are made in future reprints and editions, they don't fucking turn the entire story or its characters on its head. And when a sequel comes out, 99.99% of the time it doesn't retroactively change the original.

But whatever this is just my opinion. We are allowed to disagree on this :)

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
[...]A complete season 1 for which the developper has been charging money for years.[...]
That's how crowdfunding works. Only you are wrong, you do not buy anything from the developer, but financially help him in development and receive various privileges for this, like early access to beta versions of the game, roles in Discord and other bells and whistles.

Now that the first season is finished, published and sold as a standalone, complete entity, I agree that plot changes in it would be very strange. But it seems like no one is going to do that?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Every example I've read just shows me you guys suck at analogies :LOL: Not a fair comparison in the bunch.

How is a damn movie in which the narrative is based on time travel and changing past events compare to SG or WiAB? (to address the not so clever superhero movies retort) How can you compare a test release, a screening for audiences or investors to a released AVN? There is already a published product here. A complete season 1 for which the developper has been charging money for years. It's not the same thing. A fair comparison would be releasing a movie in the theaters, having audience member buy tickets and watch it, then midway through the movie suddenly Act 1 has changed, one actor was recast and not a single explanation is given as to why the protagonists relationship with other characters completely changed.

Same with a book. Only the final version is published and monetized. Even if some revisions are made in future reprints and editions, they don't fucking turn the entire story or its characters on its head. And when a sequel comes out, 99.99% of the time it doesn't retroactively change the original.

But whatever this is just my opinion. We are allowed to disagree on this :)
There are multiple versions of monetised films. But I can recognise I'm nitpicking.

Maybe a better analogy then for you is building a house; you get progress checks, and see where the plasterer cut corners, or someone didn't follow the plan (far too common), or the price of material goes beyond the contract and there needs a variation. There are plenty of products that are monetised in various stages of completion. I don't see why this is a surprise with how long you've been around AVN's. It happens, and it's happened to a lot of games recently because of patreon. Ocean's being overly cautious maybe, but it's understandable even if it's not the desired outcome.

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
That's how crowdfunding works. Only you are wrong, you do not buy anything from the developer, but financially help him in development and receive various privileges for this, like early access to beta versions of the game, roles in Discord and other bells and whistles.

Now that the first season is finished, published and sold as a standalone, complete entity, I agree that plot changes in it would be very strange. But it seems like no one is going to do that?
Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If at any point in S2 or any future seasons, Ocean retcons any aspect from the already finished and published S1, will you agree with me? Or admit that I had a point?

Not looking for a "gotcha" here or to eventually throw an "I told you so" at your face. I just don't trust Ocean to not keep tampering with the established narrative and I'm trying to figure out why most people disagree with my points on how the story is being told.

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If at any point in S2 or any future seasons, Ocean retcons any aspect from the already finished and published S1, will you agree with me? Or admit that I had a point?

Not looking for a "gotcha" here or to eventually throw an "I told you so" at your face. I just don't trust Ocean to not keep tampering with the established narrative and I'm trying to figure out why most people disagree with my points on how the story is being told.
Haha, I wouldn't bet a dead mouse on that! Because he practically promised to do it, and on this very forum.

I can't find the post right now, but he let it slip that as the story progresses, some old scenes will appear in a completely different light, or even take on a meaning that is the opposite of what they mean now.

And then, without changing anything in the first season, you can easily add to or change the meaning of certain scenes with flashbacks or new scenes that expand on old ones. In Lost, for example, they did this all the time.

What if the damn raccoon isn't just an Easter egg, but the spirit of the dead Summer? :KEK:

4.30 star(s) 528 Votes