Pendrell

Apr 10, 2020

View attachment 2527307

I started the week posing static renders and finished a longer Jill scene. After this, I revisited the planning phase for episode 10, trying to map out the remaining events on the episode timeline and plan some more.

I checked what I'd done and what was left to do, and visually seeing this progress made me realize that episode 10 would be another big one. I believe I have mapped out close to everything I want in the episode now, which feels great.
Then I spent part of the week writing dialogue and coding for the phone and generally had a very good flow.

I've done a lot so far, especially when you account for most of the mini-games being completed and added to the episode, but I have plenty of manual labor left.
I counted the segments on the timeline and found that I have created 29/51 (57%) parts and have 22/51 (43%) parts left to create.

Of those remaining 22 parts, 4 are free-roam events (two small ones, one medium-sized, and one long), and the rest are lewd and normal scenes. The parts range from short to long, and some include multiple different scenes and variations.
I've been bumping my render and animation quality in Season 3, but my render power has more or less stayed the same for quite some time now. I decided to invest a lot more into hardware and am currently in the process of upgrading my systems with 4090s and building brand-new rigs.

It's unreal to me that I can do this at this scale. My thoughts go back to the first year of development when I had a single PC with one 1080 Ti and had to wait months to afford more RAM. I'm immensely thankful for being able to do this upgrade, and it's all thanks to you guys.

At the moment, I have upgraded my systems with +50% extra render power. Shortly, I plan to increase that to roughly 90% total extra power compared to before the upgrade. This means these upgrades will almost double my render speed, pushing the bottleneck further toward manual labor - which is me sitting by the PC working.

The upgrade I did this week immediately affected my render queue. I have 0 static renders in the queue for the first time in months, and only 26 animations remain. I believe these animations will be done within 1-2 weeks.

The good thing now is knowing that the renders and animations I pose will render twice as fast. This puts more pressure on my manual work but alleviates the waiting time at the end of the development cycle.

As I already see results from the PC upgrade, I will return to posing animations next week.

I love the game development right now, and the hardest thing for me is to choose what I want to work with every day because there are a lot of fun scenes left to create. Let's fucking go!

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
One of the best status updates I've read from him in a long while. The upgraded kit and faster rendering times are welcome. But even more so is the big emphasis on planning! My concern towards the end of the last dev cycle was that he admitted not knowing how much he still needed to add to the episode after nearly a year of development. Maybe that bothered him too, because this time he seems to have a lot more grip over what he's doing - he revisited the planning phase, he's mapped out close to everything he needs to include, and we have proper estimates that's he's clearly spent some time thinking about in terms of what's been done and what remains, including the different types of content (freeroams etc). This is good and bodes well for episode 10 and his future approach to development in general.

mpa71

Dec 18, 2017
:coffee: Updated BigTable™ with the recent informations.
SpeedyBoiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

• Being a DIK hit today it's 50 months of development since EP1 release.
  • Last week DPC had 2504 posed renders it safe to say they got secured, so at least +267 done.
  • Finally these 4090s reinforcement will accelerate us to new reach, probably cutting at least a month of wait.
    • if DPC don't feature bloat, at our win, even more stuff in the episodes but keeping the same deadline.
  • Could be release by end of June (6 months / 27 weeks projection). 58%complete with that estimation.
    • Target Completion __ Renders: 56% | Animations: 46%
EP​
Renders​
Animations (min)
Music*
Scenes
Size_GB
Release​
Development Time​
Ratio*
R/W
sA/W
EP1​
130151 (3:29)
—​
≈1.1
07 Feb 2019​
— days
—​
—​
—​
EP2​
1709 (+31%)77 (3:36) (+26)
—​
≈2.3 (+1.2)
04 May 2019​
087 (2 months, 28 days |≈12 weeks)
138​
EP3​
2289 (+34%)99 (4:42) (+22)
—​
10​
≈4.1 (+1.8)
16 Aug 2019​
105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)
EP4​
2532 (+11%)134 (7:57) (+35)
—​
15​
≈6.1 (+2.0)
10 Jan 2020​
148 (4 months, 26 days |≈21 weeks)
22.6​
EP5​
2456 (-3%)157 (8:35) (+23)
17 (3.4K$)
11​
≈8.0 (+1.9)
29 May 2020​
141 (4 months, 20 days |≈20 weeks)
25.6​
EP6​
3336 (+35%)162 (8:33) (+5)
24 (4.8K$)
≈11.1 (+3.1)
13 Nov 2020​
169 (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)
138​
21.2​
EP7​
3723 (+12%)250 (18:14) (+88)
18 (3.6K$)
15​
≈14.5 (+3.4)
23 Apr 2021​
162 (5 months, 11 days |≈23 weeks)
EP8​
4158 (+12%)358 (26:21) (+108)
34 (6.8K$)
16​
≈19.5 (+5.0)
19 Nov 2021​
211 (6 months, 28 days |≈30 weeks)
138​
EPI
79436 (4:36)
19 (3.8K$)
≈2.6 (new)
4 Mar 2022​
105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)
EP9​
5037 (+21%)303 (26:08) (-55)
21 (4.2K$)
≈7.3 (+4.7)
16 Dec 2022​
287 (9 months, 12 days |≈41 weeks)
38.2​
EP10
>2504
Target ≈4500
>148
Target ≈320
10 (2.0K$)
in development
112 (3 months, 22 day |≈16 weeks)
Complete Table with the idea of Holy Bacchus† original post — Being a DIK in development since 4 years, 2 months, 00 days (50 months / 217 weeks / 1,520 days / 36,480 hours)
* | Total: 26,467$ — Ratio: (Renders/Weeks + secondsAnimations/Weeks) | Renders/Weeks | secondsAnimations/Weeks

(y)Thumbs Up to:
| Casiope's DIK Walkthrough | AchedCroissant's EP10 Preview Collection | RPDL's
| shazba's Q/A Story Summary | Holy Bacchus 's Story Timeline | DrPinkCake's Q&A Session |
Clone Series Renders

Last edited:

always86

Mar 19, 2020

View attachment 2527307

I started the week posing static renders and finished a longer Jill scene. After this, I revisited the planning phase for episode 10, trying to map out the remaining events on the episode timeline and plan some more.

I checked what I'd done and what was left to do, and visually seeing this progress made me realize that episode 10 would be another big one. I believe I have mapped out close to everything I want in the episode now, which feels great.
Then I spent part of the week writing dialogue and coding for the phone and generally had a very good flow.

I've done a lot so far, especially when you account for most of the mini-games being completed and added to the episode, but I have plenty of manual labor left.
I counted the segments on the timeline and found that I have created 29/51 (57%) parts and have 22/51 (43%) parts left to create.

Of those remaining 22 parts, 4 are free-roam events (two small ones, one medium-sized, and one long), and the rest are lewd and normal scenes. The parts range from short to long, and some include multiple different scenes and variations.
I've been bumping my render and animation quality in Season 3, but my render power has more or less stayed the same for quite some time now. I decided to invest a lot more into hardware and am currently in the process of upgrading my systems with 4090s and building brand-new rigs.

It's unreal to me that I can do this at this scale. My thoughts go back to the first year of development when I had a single PC with one 1080 Ti and had to wait months to afford more RAM. I'm immensely thankful for being able to do this upgrade, and it's all thanks to you guys.

At the moment, I have upgraded my systems with +50% extra render power. Shortly, I plan to increase that to roughly 90% total extra power compared to before the upgrade. This means these upgrades will almost double my render speed, pushing the bottleneck further toward manual labor - which is me sitting by the PC working.

The upgrade I did this week immediately affected my render queue. I have 0 static renders in the queue for the first time in months, and only 26 animations remain. I believe these animations will be done within 1-2 weeks.

The good thing now is knowing that the renders and animations I pose will render twice as fast. This puts more pressure on my manual work but alleviates the waiting time at the end of the development cycle.

As I already see results from the PC upgrade, I will return to posing animations next week.

I love the game development right now, and the hardest thing for me is to choose what I want to work with every day because there are a lot of fun scenes left to create. Let's fucking go!

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
Very positive news. Said month’s ago he needed to upgrade to 4090’s. This really should bring production time back to more sensible time frame, even with increased quality and quantity. summer release seems plausible. When he next gives a total render and animation count I’ll make a proper forecast.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022

View attachment 2527307

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
Thanks for the repost here.

Indeed, now that the RTX4090 with its huge performance has been confirmed on board, the only obstacle to a quick release is the person doing the PC work.
Previously, the hardware used to render at the end of development while the DPC could rest, now the situation is reversed. But I hope this will give an increase in speed at any case.

Reactions: Drophel

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020

Indeed, now that the RTX4090 with its huge performance has been confirmed on board, the only obstacle to a quick release is the person doing the PC work.
Previously, the hardware used to render at the end of development while the DPC could rest, now the situation is reversed. But I hope this will give an increase in speed at any case.
quite vain hope. we can look forward to a better product, provided all the graphic power is not directed into a new metaphysical intro o_O, but the timing will not be affected

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
quite vain hope. we can look forward to a better product, provided all the graphic power is not directed into a new metaphysical intro o_O, but the timing will not be affected
We can judge this only after the release of Ep.10, we do not yet know what it will be like and what the structure will be.
Animated opening is not a problem at all for the RTX4090 with their performance. This cards are monsters.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
We can judge this only after the release of Ep.10, we do not yet know what it will be like and what the structure will be.
Animated opening is not a problem at all for the RTX4090 with their performance. This cards are monsters.
We certainly can’t judge now, but we absolutely can presume that he will invest all this extra power into the things he enjoys doing.

And based on his track record speeding up the episode development time is low on his priorities.

So more animations (and not necessarily lewd) as well as an overall render count increase are where I reckon it’s headed.

“…episode 10 would be another big one…”

Surely no one expected anything else.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
that animated intro remains unexplained, then of course the fact that it cost us no less than a week's wait doesn't improve its position.

the point was that we have to see how this additional power will be spent, DPC has no real interest in shortening the time, if it will use it to improve the quality of the renders (without listing the now chronic problems of Maya's skin, Josy's steel teeth and others, Jill's smile etc.) it will be a gain for us too. if instead it will be used in useless animations (like the intro of the ninth chapter) it will be quite irrelevant or even annoying.

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021

View attachment 2527307

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake

Should invest 400 bucks more for a Titan instead of going for a 4090.... 48gb beast. But well, his decision, at least he is upgrading now. A little bit late i would say, could have done it sooner. He will be very pleased how fast a 4090 can be compared to 3090.

So far we are a bit more than halfway through, so yeah... No question, there is no way it will get out in june. He is a bit faster i producing renders and animations than he was during ep 9 development. If ep 10 will reach similar numbers, and it looks like it. He already can see the results with the hardware upgrade, and yeah its twice as fast. No surprise. Doesnt mean he can produce renders twice as fast too, and a zero queue is not a good thing. But well, a little easter break is ok i think.

Overall, it sounds more and more like an early august release, and i must say, that is one month too long in my book. Doesnt matter if the episodes are bigger and bigger every time, overall the development for ep9 was very slow compared to the other episodes, and ep 10 started pretty fast but slowed down very much the last month too. Its fair to say that DPC maybe just changed his working shedule a bit to make time for other things. I guess we have to live with a development shedule around 8 months. To be fair, he will still produce more renders, content and animations that most other devs can do in even 2 years, but i hoped he will get back on track like he was for ep8 and before... with 5-6 months. But well, its not gonna happen. Lets hope he can make a late July release, but it seems a little optimistic.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022

View attachment 2527307

Good, then he can focus on the content people actually want to see now. :HideThePain:

Last edited:

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
Good, than he can focus on the content people actually want to see now. :HideThePain:
Yeah.... MORE Jill :)

And yep, here i stand proud and loud, i like Jill and think her loveroute is the best in the game, go get them stones like in Life of Brian if its blasphemie to you, i dont care =)... well would there be a Josy only route it would be my favorite, buuuut there isnt such thing yet :D

GuFf1k

Oct 26, 2019
that animated intro remains unexplained, then of course the fact that it cost us no less than a week's wait doesn't improve its position.

the point was that we have to see how this additional power will be spent, DPC has no real interest in shortening the time, if it will use it to improve the quality of the renders (without listing the now chronic problems of Maya's skin, Josy's steel teeth and others, Jill's smile etc.) it will be a gain for us too. if instead it will be used in useless animations (like the intro of the ninth chapter) it will be quite irrelevant or even annoying.
I wish I could side with DrPinkCake, but damn... you're absolutely right!

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
We certainly can’t judge now, but we absolutely can presume that he will invest all this extra power into the things he enjoys doing.

And based on his track record speeding up the episode development time is low on his priorities.

So more animations (and not necessarily lewd) as well as an overall render count increase are where I reckon it’s headed.

“…episode 10 would be another big one…”

Surely no one expected anything else.
If the computing power allows him to do everything he wants in 6-7 months for a new episode, then I'm okay with that. A longer gap is already problematic and annoying. In that case, fuck the long animations.

I expected that the episode would be big, it is technically impossible to make it smaller. DPC have to cut out part of the story to make it shorter. We have 4 brunches with MGs and several potential SGs and all need attention. Such is the structure of this game, laid down in the early seasons, that now it is difficult to make it smaller. It is possible to cut this monster from Pink Rose, potential lines with nerds, I consider them useless. And startup animations if they taking too long. Well, that's all.
So we have to get used to the standard of 5000 renders/episode, if not more. And at one brunch, the game will feel smaller than before. Make it much shorter that means minus part of the story, two hours of gameplay for one branch/new episode and crowd of angry fans, screaming "why the new Ep. is so small?".
I just don't see a solution that would satisfy absolutely everyone

This is the only animation of the three long ones in Ep.9 that I have questions about - I don't understand what it means either.
About chrome teeth and other artifacts. DPC has added a new visual, but it is clear that he lacks experience with new effects. I'll ask my friend who does fan art at DAZ more about the technical part. What I know so far is that many of these render errors need to be corrected manually, including in Photoshop. That is, this is a job for a person, not a video card.

Reactions: sava75 and shazba

RoseED

Apr 24, 2020
He can use the 4090s for quicker releases but no.... he will use it for 10 minutes of animations of nothing just to "push the boundaries of his abilities".

its still late September early October until proven wrong.

mpa71

Dec 18, 2017

That's psychology but I do wonder if DPC being now the only bottleneck would make him stress and overwork since he will always look to beat the rendering speed to always keep the queue active and busy.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes