Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
i had no such "bug" at all my searches
i tested how this could happen , and the only circumstance it can happen is if you have the search options open
and your mouse cursor rests on the wildcard option or you using arrow key while the option window is open
(with the arrow keys you can navigate at the options)
Screenshot_1.png
and this you can hardly call a "bug" ;)

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Belzeebub

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
A kind of bug pretty often troubles with mods. When performing searches and operating only with the keyboard, acknowledging the search with the return button sometimes activates the wildcard search. Which means there won't be any hits because it's active even if they came without a wildcard search. And I don’t always notice it right away and then when I notice it, it’s annoying because I don’t know how long it’s been active and all the searches have to be done again.
Inputs are an issue (they are a very tricky in RenPy), but it's on my todo-list to improve in the future ;)

ja_som

Aug 4, 2019
Hello, thank you for this great mod.
My first try is with game Apocalypse (Mac version), modding is working fine, but can't save urm file.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hello, thank you for this great mod.
My first try is with game Apocalypse (Mac version), modding is working fine, but can't save urm file.
Can you check the log.txt file? There should be a line starting with "0x52:" including the save error.
Something like 0x52: Saving to "<filename>" failed with error: <error>

Reactions: ja_som and giqui

ja_som

Aug 4, 2019
Can you check the log.txt file? There should be a line starting with "0x52:" including the save error.
Something like 0x52: Saving to "<filename>" failed with error: <error>
I tried to locate it before, but I can't find it, it's nowhere in the *.app, not in folder where the app is and also not in folder with save files. Do you know where it should be?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I tried to locate it before, but I can't find it, it's nowhere in the *.app, not in folder where the app is and also not in folder with save files. Do you know where it should be?
I'm not sure about Mac. On PC it's in the folder next to the executable. For Mac I suspect it would be in the .app.
But this might be your problem. If RenPy cannot make a log.txt, it makes sense it also can't save an .urm file.
Could it be that you don't have write permissions to the .app?

• Red Heart
Reactions: ja_som

ja_som

Aug 4, 2019
I'm not sure about Mac. On PC it's in the folder next to the executable. For Mac I suspect it would be in the .app.
But this might be your problem. If RenPy cannot make a log.txt, it makes sense it also can't save an .urm file.
Could it be that you don't have write permissions to the .app?
Thank you. It looks like Renpy has issue with the location I chose for the game, I moved the app and now it works fine.

EDIT, here is the urm file for Apocalypse game (modify stats, fractions and money)

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52

cajunguy

Sep 1, 2020
Sinful Delicacies EP12 1.0

Works with version 152. This happened when i used version 153 below:
=================

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/0x52/classes/main.rpy", line 147, in <module>
File "game/0x52/framework/loader.rpy", line 25, in load_file
Exception: 0x52: Failed to load mod file (0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52): [u'File "0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52", line 23: u\'substitute\' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the label statement.\n label x52URM.Gamesaves.pageName yalign .5 substitute False\n ^']

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "0x52/classes/main.rpyc", line 136, in script
File "E:\Downloads\Games\SinfulDelicaciesEP12-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 882, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "E:\Downloads\Games\SinfulDelicaciesEP12-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1913, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
Exception: 0x52: Failed to load mod file (0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52): [u'File "0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52", line 23: u\'substitute\' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the label statement.\n label x52URM.Gamesaves.pageName yalign .5 substitute False\n ^']

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.0.882
Mon Mar 14 11:51:42 2022

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

Works with version 152. This happened when i used version 153 below:
=================

While running game code:

Full traceback:
File "E:\Downloads\Games\SinfulDelicaciesEP12-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 882, in execute
File "E:\Downloads\Games\SinfulDelicaciesEP12-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1913, in py_exec_bytecode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.0.882
Mon Mar 14 11:51:42 2022
It's the same issue as this. Hopefully I got it fixed in the next release

xinkala

Bonk
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2020
in "A knights Tale" i got this error while launching game

Code:

While running game code:
Exception: 0x52: Failed to load mod file (0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52): [u'File "0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52", line 23: u\'substitute\' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the label statement.\n    label x52URM.Gamesaves.pageName yalign .5 substitute False\n                                                        ^']

Full traceback:
  File "E:\Games\NF\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
  File "E:\Games\NF\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
Exception: 0x52: Failed to load mod file (0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52): [u'File "0x52/screens/gamesaves.rpy.x52", line 23: u\'substitute\' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the label statement.\n    label x52URM.Gamesaves.pageName yalign .5 substitute False\n                                                        ^']

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
A knight`s tale 0.31-Special-Version
Wed Mar 16 21:08:15 2022

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Hmm... that's inconvenient. Seem like I'm using a function that's in 6.99.14, but not in 7.0.0.196.
I have to think about a possible solution for this.
in "A knights Tale" i got this error while launching game

Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "E:\Games\NF\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
  File "E:\Games\NF\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\Aknightstale-0.31-Special-Version-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
A knight`s tale 0.31-Special-Version
Wed Mar 16 21:08:15 2022

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM 1.6

I've just released URM 1.6. This version introduces an auto-update feature. So when a new version becomes available URM will give the option to update itself.
This release also fixes the issue with Ren'Py 7.0.0 that was introduced in URM 1.5.3.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But even bigger news here is the release of , which I've been working on for many months.
This website is not just a simple website, there's a whole system behind it. This system will play a big role in the future of URM. I have some ideas for some nice connected features, for example, the option to save/load/share .urm-files online from within URM.

yukare

Jul 16, 2017
I do not know if this is possible, but as a sugestion: i see in one game(just do not remember the name), when i was in gallery replay there was a button like a X on top/right of the screen to end the current replay and go back to screen where you choose the replays, the same as many games has where you press ESC, it show the main menu with an "End Replay" option. Please consider this idea of a X button during the replays to end then.

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
Fan signature
View attachment 1072245

Examples

URM files
You can put these files in you "game" directory and load them through the mod.
If you have an URM file, feel free to post is here, so I can add it to this list.
Ah, this would make finding them A LOT easier with finding these nice mods. Thank you for this post.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I do not know if this is possible, but as a sugestion: i see in one game(just do not remember the name), when i was in gallery replay there was a button like a X on top/right of the screen to end the current replay and go back to screen where you choose the replays, the same as many games has where you press ESC, it show the main menu with an "End Replay" option. Please consider this idea of a X button during the replays to end then.
That's certainly possible. I've added it to the wishlist ;)

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

1stplayer

Feb 16, 2022

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 208, in script call
call _gl_test
File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 385, in script
with None
call _gl_test
with None
KeyError: u'x52URM'

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 617, in main
run(restart)
File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
call _gl_test
with None
call _gl_test
with None
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1397, in execute
renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1646, in with_statement
return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2603, in do_with
self.with_none()
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2630, in with_none
for layer, d in self.compute_scene(scene_lists).items():
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2751, in compute_scene
rv[layer] = scene_lists.make_layer(layer, self.layer_properties[layer])
KeyError: u'x52URM'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Long Road Home 0.8.0
Sun Mar 27 12:38:47 2022

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes